Skin pigmentation disorders affect the color of your skin. Your skin gets its color from a pigment called melanin. When these cells become damaged or unhealthy, it affects melanin production. Some pigmentation disorders affect just patches of skin. Others affect your entire body.
If your body makes too much melanin, your skin gets darker. Pregnancy, Addison's disease, and sun exposure all can make your skin darker. If your body makes too little melanin, your skin gets lighter. Vitiligo is a condition that causes patches of light skin
We asked skin expert and founder of MZ SKIN, Dr. Maryam Zamani, her view on the best way to treat pigmentation:
Maryam: In my practice, I use triple combination therapy (hydroquinone, topical retinoids, and topical steroid) to help lighten pigmentation, reduce pigment formation and reduce inflammation. This is considered the gold standard for the treatment of hyperpigmentation. The mechanisms to prevent pigmentation are multifold but I will focus on the below:
1. Inhibiting Tyrosinase: this is the most common approach as this enzyme catalyses the rate limiting step of pigmentation. Examples: hydroquinone, arbutin, Kojic acid, azelaic acid (also excellent to decrease inflammation)
2. Reduction of melanin formation because of antioxidant ability: ascorbic acid
3. Retinoids Tretinoin: helps increase cell turnover and brighten pigmented skin from UV damage, when skin is not exposed to the UV radiation; Retinoids induce dispersion of keratinocyte pigment granules, interfere with pigment transfer and increase cell turnover (slow to work, often needs 24 weeks).
4. Peeling: helps to remove pigmented spots (freckles’, melasma, PIh) by peeling the corneocytes and epidermal upper layer keratinocytes. Tyrosinase inhibition is the most common approach and used in combination with other treatments.
5. MZ SKIN Pigmentation Correcting Ampoules:
Reverse the visible effects of ageing and sun damage with this intensely brightening 7-day treatment programme, for use morning and night. 14 potent, serum-filled ampoules deliver an innovative combination of vitamin C, Tranexamic acid, alpha arbutin and antioxidant vitamins deep into the dermis to improve the appearance of pigmentation, discolouration and uneven skin in just one week. Powerful, anti-inflammatory actives instantly calm and restore the skin barrier, while supercharged peptides defend against free radicals, visibly boost collagen and promote a youthful healthy glow.